Competition: League Cup 3rd Round
Fernando Torres (Assist: Mata)
Ramires (Assisst: Mata)
- Mourinho-Mata saga is apparently progressing towards its end as the coaching staff responded positively to Juan Mata’s performance. They got to see what they wanted to see.
- It is clear that Mourinho imagined his strongest X1 as Hazard, Oscar & Mata with Oscar in the middle with Mata on the right. He was set back a little as Mata got used to play no. 10. Mourinho might have a point as Mata’s defensive work lacked a bit. After Hazard’s strides last season, I guess he was behind both Hazard & Oscar as well as Schurrle & KdB in defensive duties.
- Fernando Torres gave a MOTM performance. His first goal was a typical poacher goal and assist for Rami was a delight to watch. The move started with Torres leaving 2 Swindon midfielders for dead with a turn and what a turn it was!
- Torres was unlucky to score even before the first goal came as his shot hit the keeper in the face. He again had a brilliant opportunity to score in the second half but this time Swindon crowded the box while he beat the keeper.
- Willian had an excellent opportunity to give an assist to Torres but he chose to shoot. I can understand the need to make a statement but that was poor. Great players pass. No need to go searching for Messi, just look at Eden Hazard. Afterwards instead of raising his hand in the air (for apologizing), he made the gesture that he couldn’t see Torres. I said it before and I’ll say it again, buying Willian was a bad bad decision. I would have valued him around 15. (Yes, I do rate him below Schurrle and KdB)
- This victory left a bad taste in the mouth with Van Ginkel out for 6 month with a knee injury. Last year Romeu, Essien before that, the midfield curse continues.
Chelsea will now face Arsenal on 29th Sep (that is 48 hours after they take on Manchester City).