The scoreline would suggest an easier match but it was not. Mourinho had to gamble YET AGAIN to pull off a win which became rather comfortable albeit.
Goals:Eden Hazard 33′
Samuel Eto’o 66′
Oscar 78′ [Assist: Ramires]
Eden Hazard 82′
- Chelsea dominated possession. Cardiff wasted time. Their goalie got a yellow card after about an half an hour, Mou got sent off!
- Mourinho decided to start with Eto’o although many would have thought that Torres will get the nod. It was a wise decision as Torres would simply have gotten frustrated against a deep defending Cardiff with 2 banks of four. Eto’o justified Mou’s faith by scoring the goal which gave us the lead.
- The first goal against us was a misunderstanding between David Luiz and Petr Cech. I would say that DL was more at fault here. Not a blunder but DL was playing very casually as Alan Hansen pointed out. Ok, Cardiff are Championship promoted team but they play good football. Luiz needs to understand that Mou won’t hesitate to drop him if he keeps switching off like this in games.
- The first goal came clearly after a foul by Eto’o on their goalie.
- At 1-1, Mou gambled by taking Bertie off for Torres switching to 3 at the back. The formation was utter chaos and we could have gone 1 down immediately. Although luck favored us as Eto’o scored and Mou immediately reverted with Azpi at LB.
- Oscar made instant impact.
- Juan Mata is still to hit top form. But I don’t have any doubt that he will.
- Chelsea lacked width at the right as both Willian and Mata tended to go in middle.
- We did attack a lot on the left side as a result. One reason would be Eden Hazard. Another would be Ryan Bertrand. Bertrand completed the most passes 22 out of 24 in the opposition half. He was impressive. Somewhere during this season he can surpass Ashley Cole. Its up to Mou, when?
- If I have to predict Mou’s lineup against Schalke-
- He might decide to go with Schurrle on the left and Hazard-Oscar interchanging positions in between. Luiz-Cahill would be a 50-50 call. Mata to come in at 60.
- The only downside from this match would be Chelsea’s defense looking wobbly at times. Petr Cech had to make 2 very good saves. If a team like Cardiff can make , rather get, those chances, it’s not pretty.
3 points! We go 2nd in PL.