Chelsea appeared to make another good work of a toothless Schalke team with their striker Huntelaar out for the season.
Torres 5′ [Assist: Ivanovich]
Torres 68′ [Assist: Oscar, great work by Hazard]
Hazard 87′ [Great off the ball run by Torres]
- After gaining a lead after 5 minutes, Chelsea seemed like they wanted to see the match out and grind a 1-0 result (all this changed in the second half). They were completely content in giving Schalke the ball. Chelsea did resume playing at the mark of around 42′.
- In the first half, Schalke had loads of possession (60% over the full game) which continued throughout the game but Chelsea tried to attack a lot more in the second half. It was a typical away performance. Chelsea seemed content taking the 3 points home rather than playing. Schalke outpassed Chelsea making 720 compared to Chelsea’s 487.
- Hazard started the game on the right and was there for the full first half. In the second half, Hazard had more of a free role relatively and overloaded left wing with Schurrle and middle with Oscar at moments. He also tracked back less which also resulted in the 3rd goal. The fouls keep coming on Hazard!
- Fernando Torres put in a real shift. He has done it almost at all times during the last season but he looked really focused and importantly got the 2 goals. He made the right runs and hit the woodwork rather spectacularly. What a goal that would have been. Although Torres’ first touch on second goal wasn’t very good.
Torres made 3 tackles and 2 clearances to add to his 2 goals. He had 2 dribbles.
- It was a very dull performance by Chelsea. If you missed the match, you didn’t miss much.
- After going 2-0 up, Mou closed the match with Mikel on for Schurrle with 18 minutes to go. Later Luiz came for Hazard.
- Mikel looked impressive with his passing in the short cameo. The attacking trio impressed when they could but it was a lot of defending they had to do throughout the game.
- Chelsea defense on corners looks rather shaky still. Man City will be a good test for that. We are allowing a lot of free headers rather easily. We need to protect Cech better.
- Since I predicted team correctly for Schalke(with the exception of Azpi at LB which no one could have), let me try again for City clash.
Iva Luiz Terry Cole
Mata Oscar Haz
- I assume that Cole will be fit to start. Otherwise,doubt if Azpi will start over Bertie.
Mourinho might go again with Rami on right wing and Mikel in the pivot. But considering it failed against Spurs, looks unlikely. Maybe its time to try Rami-Mikel partnership.
This was first win by Mou on German soil in 7 matches. Ironically, no German team has beaten Mou’s side at home. Will that be also changed when Schalke visit Chelsea at the bridge?
We now top the group with 6 points. Hopefully we will end with 15.