Eden Hazard and Eto’o gave Chelsea all 3 points. But it was much more than that.
Match Notes [MatchDay 19]:
- The storm that hit Liverpool after the 3rd minute goal swept them aside. Chelsea played with insatiable hunger, and Liverpool looked like passer-by.
International break saw Chelsea lose momentum and they fell to Everton.
- Chelsea lost the match because they were not able to finish any of the chances created. Andre Schurrle and Eto’o had some great chances to score goals.
- Mou opted to rest Lampard. The favorable pivot of Rami & Mikel started and they impressed a lot. As I will touch in another article, inclusion of Mikel frees Ramires to attack and Rami had the best game out of all the Chelsea boys.
- Was Eto’o match fit? If not, why the hell did Mou start him? He benches Mata on the same logic! Anyways Eto’o had a stinker of a match. I can rate hime 1 or 2/10 for this performance.
What’s more depressing is, if this was Eto’o at his best at 32 yo (& hence Mou starting him), why the hell did Moy buy him?
- Replacing Juan Mata around 60′ mark was a stupid decision by Mou. He clearly doesn’t fancy Chelsea’s twice player of the year and doesn’t trust him. Juan Mata had a good game. He deserved 90 minutes.
- FLOP OF THE MATCH: Jose Mourinho. Yes, I said it. The gamble to start Eto’o backfired as he was the worst player on the pitch. Lost possession countless times, was easily muscled out of the ball and made a mess of glorious chances. If Torres had such a performance he would have been crucified! Eto’o is not the flop of the match for me because it was Mou’s decision to start him. And then there is the substi. of Mata.
- Andre Schurlle had another poor performance but this time in terms of finishing.
- Mou replaced Mata with Oscar in the no. 10 role. Lampard went into the pivot and Ramires went on the right with the substitution of Schurrle. Chelsea continued with 4-2-3-1.
- Chelsea switched to 3-2-3-2 with Torres coming on & Ashley Cole going off. David Luiz went to the LB position.
- David Luiz was clearly at fault for the solitary goal of the match. Not sure if he had instructions from Mou to press the ball but doing so into the box was ill-wised and it resulted in an extra man unmarked in the box. JT was helpless to prevent the goal. It should be noted that the same thing happened again at 55′ !!
- Mikel had a good game. He is not the perfect man for the pivot as he is slow and gets caught out of position on counter but Mikel-Rami partnership is still better that Lamps-Rami partnership.
- Ashley Cole was not at his best but he wasn’t poor either. Looks like he can use some rest.
- There might be some people who are worrying about Hazard. Eden Hazard is not being underestimated by the oppositions now. You can see this by the fact that he gets the attention of 2-3 players as soon as he get the ball. This will only result in Hazard going a level further as the season progresses.
Our PL run comes to end. I will leave you with a funny expression from Iva during the match.
Iva gives a stare to Howard Webb
Date: 21st August (EPL MotD 3 pre-poned) , Home
FT: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa
Luna(OG ) (Assist: Hazarad)
Ivanovich (Assist: Lampard (FK))
- Chelsea started strongly but not as strong as against their previous opponent Hull. This was partly in fact due to Juan Mata getting his first start. He is coming from an injury and will take some time to hit top form.